#1 2016-03-10 16:18:57

Cranakor

Connection to database

Hey, i just downloaded App Builder and i should say, it is impressive. i am trying to create an app that that takes data from an input box and searches that data in the database and if found, then display a message, and if not found, then it displays an error message and then sends/inserts the same error message to a table in the database, but i don't know how to connect to the database and how to use the build in functions to search a database. Please help.

#2 2016-03-10 17:01:02

datadon

Re: Connection to database

You might want to indicate what type of database you are referring to.

#3 2016-03-10 18:35:11

David
Admin
Website

Hello,

datadon wrote:

You might want to indicate what type of database you are referring to.

Thanks Donald. Certainly what database we are talking about is important here. But also the server language. In fact App Builder's apps are abstracted from the server side, so we can use any database and server language, operating system, etc. In fact our application can made HTTP calls to a remote server, and the remote server provides an answer to us: depending on what calls and answer we can made anything: show a message, change certain GUI element, etc., etc.

If you wanted, take a look at the "Report8" and "Report9" samples, and also the "Database" sample. Just take a look at the Menu -> File -> Samples. All the App Builder's samples works with PHP and MySQL in the server. I think that samples can help you in some manner. If you have any specific question, please, don't hesitate to post here Cranakor.

#4 2016-03-10 22:13:09

Cranakor

thank you for the responses. i an going to use php and mysql. i did look at the database sample, but i jst couldn't understand how i create my php files and then link them to my app. i think my problem is not understanding how i implement php into my app. how do i access the php files?

#5 2016-03-10 22:32:56

David
Admin
Website

Hello Cranakor,

If you plain to place your application in a web server (capable to run PHP), just like any HTML5 application, then you can add the PHP files using the app's file's manager. Then you can made the appropiate HTTP calls to that app's files.

In a more general usage (for example, if you plain to build your application for the Android platform) then your PHP scripts must be accesible in certain remote server, that is, a hosting you control and in which can place the required PHP scripts.

Then you can use the appropiate URLs for that scripts to be use from your application. In this last case you no need to use the app's file's manager at all.

#6 2016-03-10 22:39:44

Cranakor

thank you. i will try it and get back if i encounter any problems

#7 2016-03-10 22:40:58

David
Admin
Website

You're welcome! smile

#8 2016-03-20 11:09:29

romarom

Hi, great program for multi-platform, but it is unclear how to connect a sqllite database locally, I use basic4android but I would be interested in App Builder, it would be better that in the program there was a menu to compile directly.
Greetings

#9 2016-03-20 11:12:39

romarom

I forgot that I have an operating system on Windows XP SP3, and when you send in debug build with no files,

#10 2016-03-20 13:40:05

David
Admin
Website

Hello romaron,

Thanks for your interest in my work at App Builder.

romarom wrote:

Hi, great program for multi-platform, but it is unclear how to connect a sqllite database locally, I use basic4android but I would be interested in App Builder, it would be better that in the program there was a menu to compile directly.
Greetings

Deal with databases from HTML/Javascript applications is not something we can do today, due to the lack of support into the browsers, as you can see here.

However, if you want to use certain Javascript API in order to access that kind of databases, may you want to try it, since we can use pure Javascript to extend the program's capabilities.

My recomendation, however, is to use server/side databases (communicating with them using HTTP calls) or JSON files. We can deal with JSON without problems, as you can see in the included app samples who deal with it.

romarom wrote:

I forgot that I have an operating system on Windows XP SP3, and when you send in debug build with no files,

I am sorry, but, I can't offer support for the Windows XP operating system. App Builder must run in Windows 10, 8 or 7. If you have problems in that systems, then tell me and I will try to help you as quickly as possible.

#11 2016-03-20 22:02:44

romarom

hello, can be an example?

#12 2016-03-20 22:09:17

David
Admin
Website

Hello,

romarom wrote:

hello, can be an example?

An example of what exactly? I am sorry, maybe I miss something...

#13 2016-03-21 12:06:58

romarom

hello, how to connect to a Sqlite database and its new, change, delete, to understand how to connect function sheeting, because coming from basic4android there are libraries to connect by the database without the server part.
thank you

#14 2016-03-21 12:16:26

David
Admin
Website

Hello,

I don't know how other environment works romarom. I explain you in a previous message why I don't place any stuff (right now) to work with client side databases: they are not supported by the browsers at this time. If you can do it using Javascript, then you can do it, because App Builder's app can be extended using Javascript.

On the other hand we have at least two alternatives: use remote databases (via HTTP calls) or use JSON objects/text files, something we can do right now out of the box, as you can see in the various app samples included in App Builder. Maybe in the future the client side databases are better supported, then I can plain to add support for it.

I am sorry for that romarom. If you try to implement the SQLITE access using certain Javascript API and you need some specific help, then post here or better open a new forum's post and I will try to help you as best as possible.

Board footer